It's wintertime, which means your body is craving comfort food. Yet eating a green salad every day is one of the healthiest habits you can get into. The challenge during this cold season is to eat a least one healthy salad a day. The bigger the better, as long as it's bigger in volume not in calories…which means more veggies and less dressings and fatty add-ons (bacon bits, croutons, cheese, etc.). Below are some general salad guidelines:
- Get at least 2 cups of greens (Kale, Romaine, Spinach - NO ICEBURG)
- Eat 4oz or less of a lean meat (chicken, seafood, turkey - NO SALAMI OR HAM)
- Veggies, veggies, and more veggies
- No processed salad dressing (use only vinaigrette’s - homemade or store bought).
- No bacon bits or croutons
- No processed cheese (blue cheese or feta is acceptable, but no more than 2oz.)
- No candied or flavored nuts (only raw nuts, dried fruit (no sugar added) and/or fresh fruit)